Monday, June 13, 2011

Aberdeen - June 7-12


Aberdeen, SD
June 7-12
Rev. Jill Warner

Aberdeen UCC is a large, modern church with a congregation around 400. I stayed with Rev. Jill in a room upstairs in her lovely home. She was a wonderful host, sharing her church, touring Aberdeen and taking me to a theatrical performance on Saturday evening.

Rev. Jill was very open with her ministry. We joined other pastors for lunch at a local restaurant to talk about our various thoughts on Pentecost. We attended a Wednesday evening dinner and worship service, a Trustees meeting, and she gave me the opportunity to preach on Pentecost.


It was wonderful to work with her to design the worship service. She wanted a service that was different, dynamic and filled with the Spirit. Rev. Jill, Sandy and I had a great time creating sacred space on the chancel and altar. We were blessed by a young lady, Makala, who danced early in the service to a hymn that Rev. Jill sang and accompanied on electric keyboard. For a different style of Communion we set a dinner table with red cloth, white plates for the bread, and glass goblets for juice. People came up in groups of 10, and overall it went well for a new ritual. For Children's Time, Angela designed headbands with flames with a white dove that stood up like the flames on the Apostles heads that first Pentecost.

Rev. Jill introduced me to everyone at the top of worship and then... yes, folks, my Very First Sermon in Front of a Congregation! This was a delightful challenge, especially since I will be taking my first class in Preaching next Fall! I used two Biblical texts (1 Corinthians 12 and Acts 2), a youth-focused book called "God Will Not Forget You" and the Serendipty Student Study Bible.

After service I got many warm handshakes and best wishes from folks, so overall I think it went over pretty well. It remains to be seen if people minded me referring to God as "She." :-} I also was given the opportunity to do the Benediction and used the lovely blessing Rev. Jim Mitulski uses.

I am very grateful to Rev. Jill, Sandy, Angela and Nicole for a wonderful visit to Aberdeen. This next week I will be with Rev. Steven Bailey in Watertown. Stay tuned for further updates.

Love and blessings to all!
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment